Project Name: Sports Industries Development Centre (SIDC), Sialkot
Location: Sialkot, Punjab
Project Cost: Rs. 435.637 Million
Current Status: Project Completed and is now Operational, Rendering Services to the Local Sports Goods Industry
Sports Industries Development Centre (SIDC) is a project of Small and Medium Enterprise Development Authority (SMEDA) funded by Ministry of Industries and Production (MoI&P) Government of Pakistan, to help sports goods sector to adopt new technology of Mechanized Thermo Laminated Balls by providing the production facilities for SME’s, Technical Advisory Services, Mold Making Machinery Services and Training to Manpower.
SIDC proudly introduce itself as ISO 9001:2015 certified manufacturers of Bladders, Thermo Laminated Soccer Balls, Futsal Balls, Rubberized Basketballs, and Volleyballs using state of the art technology.
- Facilitate in sustaining Pakistan’s position in International market of inflatable balls in general and soccer ball in particular.
- Develop prototype sample & manufacturing of bladders, thermo balls, basket balls and valley balls for the industry.
- Training of workers in mould/rubber technologies / mechanized ball.
- Provision of manufacturing facilities for SMEs to secure their export orders for mechanized inflatable balls.
- Develop quality vulcanization and pasting molds.
- Provide services for reverse engineering.
BRIEF PROFILE OF SECTOR
Sialkot is internationally known as a producer of good quality products in sports, surgical instruments, leather garments, gloves & accessories, sportswear and musical instruments. Around 400,000 plus people are engaged directly or indirectly with export activities. Annual export earnings of the city are around US $ 1 Billion.
Sports goods sector is the main export sector of the city with total exports of US $ 450 million per annum. Sialkot caters to around 70% of total world demand of hand stitched inflatable balls which translates into around 40 million balls annually worth US $ 210 million. These balls are produced by a workforce of nearly 60,000 and exported to world markets by 1,000 plus entrepreneurs, majority of which fall under SME definition.
OVERVIEW OF THE PROJECT
Setting up the Sports Industries Development Center (SIDC) is the core initiative in the strategy of infusing Mechanized inflatable ball technology in the local industry. The installed capacity on single shift basis is 3,500 balls per day (Thermo balls, Basket Balls, American Balls, Volley Balls and Bladders). However, it may be enhanced in two shifts depending on the need.
Project has completed and Project Inauguration was laid on March 01, 2018 by honorable Federal Minister for Industries & Production.
Thermo ball, Basket ball, Bladder, Workshop and Laboratory machines/equipments are installed, commissioned, tested and providing services to local industry as per requirement within available facility. SIDC thermo balls got approval from FIFA and IMS through client. SIDC basketballs got approval from IMS through client. IPR registration is under process.
FACILITIES PROVIDING TO SMEs AND LOCAL INDUSTRY
- Manufacturing Facilities:SIDC project providing manufacturing facilities of high quality Bladders, Basketballs, Thermo balls, Hybrid Ball, Volleyballs, American Balls, Rubber Nozzles and yarn winding of bladders to SMEs and local industry as per requirement within available facility.
- Laboratory testing Facilities:All types of tests as per FIFA standards for thermo ball, basketball as per FIBA, bladder & raw materials.
- Workshop Facilities:All kinds of cutting Dies, Molds & some types of bending Dies. Processing & reshaping of small and medium sized mold cavities as well as shaping of specialized high strength spare parts. Cutting flat or formed surfaces on work pieces especially with high efficiency. Samples of surgical parts as well as of cutlery items.
- Advisory Services: Advisory Services to local industry for setting up new production unit of thermo ball, basket ball, volley ball and bladders. Advisory Services to local industry for Trade mark and Pattern registration in Pakistan & foreign countries.
- Training of Manpower Facilities: SIDC providing training to manpower from local market in bladder section, thermo section, basketball, workshop, Boiler and Electrical Sections. SIDC has given training 300 plus students in different sections among these trainees mostly trainees are working in different organizations. Training is also under process with collaboration of National Vocational Technical and Training Council (NAVTTC) and Punjab Skills Development Fund (PSDF).
ACHIEVEMENTS / OUTCOMES
- Manufactured almost 1,600,000 bladders, 258,500/- yarn winding of bladders, 1,700,000/- Rubber Nozzles, 54,000 Thermo balls and 30,000 basketballs for the local industry up to December 2018. Volleyballs and American balls samples are also developed for the industry.
- SIDC has facilitated/ help about 11 companies for setup of their own thermo units by making their linkage with the imported machinery suppliers and many through reverse engineering.
- SIDC is an ISO 9001:2015 QMS certified organization.
Mr. Muhammad Sarwar Hanif
Project Director - SIDC
14-KM, Motra Adjacent to Imam Bukhari University, Daska, District Sialkot