- To support local community by providing the means for sustainable livelihood by improving and creating economic activity.
- To improve quality of silk cloth by provision of Dyeing, Washing and Pressing plant as a common facility in the cluster.
- To provide support to the cluster activities in the shape of technical knowhow on the subject to improve their product quality enhancing local demand and bringing them at par with national standards.
- To provide the cluster with innovative methods of improved dyeing, washing and pressing methods for cost reduction, value addition and time saving.
- To develop diversified products in the cluster
- Create market linkages locally and national Level to increase the income of the producers in the cluster.
BRIEF PROFILE OF SECTOR
The cluster of Silk yarn units is located on G.T. Road Rahimabad, Mingora, in District Swat. This Cluster currently comprises of around 75 units in operation, as compared to the situation a few years back when Swat was considered as a major cluster of Silk and had more than 400 units. The average unit size of each unit is forty (40) power looms with one labour for each loom. The labour force is mostly locals though previously some of the labour force and most of the experts and managers were from Punjab. Swat was an under-developed area and incentives by the Federal Government of Pakistan in 1964-65 resulted in making it an industrial hub with major clusters of silk units and cosmetic manufacturers.
OVERVIEW OF THE PROJECT
The establishment of Dyeing, Washing & Pressing facility will improve product quality, result in employment generation and boost economic activity in the region. By up-gradation of the machinery new product lines will be developed which will help the community in grabbing more market opportunities and will increase the market share. Seventy five (75) units of the cluster are still surviving in the market when militancy in the region increased resulting in Military operation in May 2009. The proposed project would support in revitalization of the industry in the region and would also help in revival of the closed silk manufacturing units.
BENEFITS TO THE SECTOR/SMEs
The common facility center will offer the following services:
- Provision of machinery for business purposes at nominal charges
- Training services to enable Washing / Dyeing / Pressing capabilities
- Training services to enable Designing / Branding & Marketing capabilities
- Training services to assist in Costing, Management, Book Keeping
CONTACT DETAILS OF PROJECT DIRECTOR
SMEDA Regional Office
Ground Floor, State Life Building, The Mall, Peshawar Cantt.
Tel: 92-91-111-111-456, 92-91-9213046-7 Fax: 92-91-286908