Home Women Business Development Centre - Karachi

Women Business Development Centre - Karachi

PROJECT OBJECTIVES

The major goal of this project is to help women to develop their business skills that will enable them to compete effectively in today's marketplace. Broadly speaking its objectives are mentioned below:

  • To provide an enclave facility for Women Entrepreneurs
  • To enhance bargaining power of women
  • To provide a platform, focusing on economic empowerment of women in trade;
  • Exploring new business opportunities;
  • Exposure to new ideas of marketing and business expansion;
  • Providing them business support services

BRIEF PROFILE OF SECTOR

The analysis of the role of women in entrepreneurs can be gauged by data presented in Labour Force Survey of Pakistan 2007-08. This survey indicates that currently around 75 % of female labour force are engaged in agricultural activity while remaining 25 % are employed in Manufacturing, Construction, Trade, Transport, Communication and Other Service sectors (See table 2a). Among the total female working population, there is 26.7 % women either employers or self employed, 20.9 % are unpaid family workers while remaining 52.4 % are employed (See table 2b). According to Women Chamber of Commerce, Karachi officials about 25,000 to 30,000 women entrepreneurs are working in Karachi. Most of these entrepreneurs are home-based businesses.

OVERVIEW OF THE PROJECT

Women Business Incubation Center (WBIC) is an exclusive facility for women to provide ‘hands-on support’ to Women Entrepreneurs (WEs) in an exclusive female oriented environment and facilitates enterprising women who want to start their own business or move from home-based business to a fuller commercial venture.

BENEFITS TO THE SECTOR/SMEs

WBIC will provide the following facilities

  • Office Space
  • Display Facility
  • Contacts at Business Link and other business Services
  • Professional services (e.g. accountants, lawyers, product developers, etc.)
  • A business  ‘portal’
  • Seminars, Workshops and Training Programs
  • Training & Meeting Room
  • These facilities will be offered for a minimum fee, enable Women entrepreneurs to use them for the benefit of their businesses
Follow Us