Chromite Beneficiation Plant - Khanozai
Objective of the project is upgrading low grade Chromiteand production of value added Chromite products, based on natural endowments of the area.
BRIEF PROFILE OF SECTOR
Balochistan is contributing great share towards the production of Chromite ore in the country. This can be confirmed by the fact that in 1996 Balochistan produced 23,000 tons of Chromite out of the total production of 24,484 tons of Pakistan. According to a report, Chromite production of Muslim Bagh & Khanozai totals approximately 130,000 tons /annum in 2003-04. Traditionally Pakistan has been exporting Chromite to the metallurgical industry alone. The upgraded Chromite can be used in further higher-end Chromite industry of chemicals, alloys, and refractory bricks.
OVERVIEW OF THE PROJECT
This project is related to setting up a Common Facility Center of Chromite Beneficiation Plant to enrich the Chromite content of the ores, liberate them from unwanted rock material and other minerals and eventually separate the final product into uniform grain sizes. The purpose of beneficiation is to render the ore physically and chemically suitable for further treatment.
BENEFITS TO THE SECTOR/SMEs
- Reduction in transportation cost as mine owners would have to transport treated Chromite without wastages.
- Skilled and unskilled job creation in the sector.
- Increase in export revenues due to export of value added Chromite products.
- Generation of economic activity in the area, leading to poverty alleviation and reduction in unemployment rate.
- Increase in efficiency and effectiveness through capacity building/awareness of Chromite mine owners in the area
- Strengthening of related industries such as Metallurgical, Chemical, and Refractory due to availability of good quality raw material within the country in low prices.
CONTACT DETAILS OF PROJECT DIRECTOR
Mr. Khurram Riaz Dar
Acting Provincial Chief
Banglow No. 15-A, Chaman Housing Scheme, Airport Road, Quetta
Tel: 081-2831 623 Fax: 081-2831 702